Wednesday, January 19, 2005

ohiru



upload: tokyogoat.
I spend a fair bit of time hanging around foodblogs. It's not so much the case that I am overly interested in food, or it's preparation. I recall a time in my younger years when I was mildly repulsed by food and our (humans) reliance on it. I can see now that my distaste for food was just part of the process of trying to get my head around my own humanity (the process is not complete by any means). But anyways...
foodblogs...well it just turns out that some of my friends happen to have highly entertaining blogs and they happen to be about food. Where is this going you ask. Well my comment today is: Around my office there is f#$%$#k all to eat at lunch time. The picture shown is of a little hole in the wall bento shop. 500yen. "What a deal" you might say. However I am sure that the total cost of the contents of a lunch box served there is about 30yen, including the packaging.

There is a story of the worlds worst bento that was purchased from a local road side vendor. I held romantic thoughts of this little bento vendor serving the best lunchboxes in Tokyo. Each day they would pull-up with there bento cart packed up with the days offerings. 500yen!! "Also a bargain", you might say. I tried it one day and I was convinced they had just served my some cadaver meat procured from the local Universities. Not wanting to be one that makes a final judgement from one experience I stepped up to the mark the very next day, even if I was well suspicious and decidedly less personable. All was going well until I dragged out a 20 cm stranded of thick wavy grey hair that was providing inner reinforcement for the packed rice. Came quite close to vomitting at my office desk that day. I had all sorts of theories on how that vendor ran it's daily operation after that.

Anyway the choices around Kundanshita are few obliging me, us, to spend much more money than one should just to get something vaguely palatable. Today is the day before payday so I may be have to force down some cup noodles. Ahh the joys. Imagine if I was motivated enough to prepare my own lunch. Can you imagine that? Can you??

No comments:

Followers